As women, we juggle many roles throughout our lives. Multi-tasking is our strength, but sometimes it’s exhausting. At the moment, I attend school full-time, I work part-time, and I’m a wife, which I consider to be a full-time gig. Some days I come home with my ears ringing and I feel completely done.
I’m going to assume your life is busy too because most of us can barely sit down until we fall asleep in front of the TV. If you’re a highly sensitive person (HSP), a busy day can be especially draining, emotionally and physically, and it’s important to read the signs that it’s time for self-care.
If you’re anything like me, you’ll know you’ve waited too long when you want to hide in a closet and sob the rest of the evening. The key, ladies, is to catch yourself before you hit that wall.
Here are some strategies that I’ve found helpful after a hectic day:
1. Retreat. Sit or lie down in a quiet space, simply concentrating on your breath. I find that after several minutes, I already feel as though I have taken care of my body and am ready to be present again.
2. Knitters gonna knit. Find an outlet. During the winter I become knitting obsessed and it’s my go to craft therapy when I need it. I don’t need to think, it gives me a focus and I love the sense of accomplishment it provides. This can be anything: go for a run, take a yoga class, play guitar, anything to calm your body and mind.
3. Pray. Whether you pray, meditate or offer up gratitude, it helps to connect with something bigger and of the spiritual realm. Prayer calms our minds and can help bring peace to our inner panic.
4. Be kind. In my meltdown moments I am my worst critic, which only fuels my sense of anxiety and overwhelm. I’ve learned to be aware of this and to consciously be forgiving and gentle with myself. Am I tired? That’s okay. Let’s rest. Am I worried? That’s normal, but let’s try to stay in the present. Being kind with ourselves goes a long way in bringing rest and peace.
5. Eat something, for goodness sake! The world is not ending, you’re just hungry.
6. Sleep it off. Our bodies need sleep, especially after an over-stimulating day! Try not to worry about all the things you didn’t get done and instead celebrate all you did accomplish. You’re a super star and deserve some rest. So what if your friend only needs six hours of sleep a night. You’re not her.